"The family of Murdock MacInnes of Skye who sailed to
Nova Scotia on the Hector in 1820 and set up a farm at Malagawatch in Canada
dropped the three ram's heads and the boar's head. They substituted the boar
holding the bow and arrow with an arm clad in MacInnes tartan (Onich) holding
a bow. The Lord Lyon has no jurisdiction on clan tartans unless a tartan appears
on a Coat of Arms. Hence the reason why the green hunting MacInnes tartan
(Onich) is often referred to as the only "proper" MacInnes tartan. It is the
Crest of the Murdock MacInnes family Coat of Arms - "the arm holding a bow"
which has been adopted - without good cause - by the Council of Chiefs for
the MacInnes clansman's badges and souvenirs. Previously the insignia was
the "Thistle and the Bee" and the "Boar's Head". "